BICC - Bonn International Center for Conversion
As an independent, non-profit organization, BICC (Internationales Konversionszentrum Bonn – Bonn International Center for Conversion) deals with a wide range of global topics in the field of peace and conflict research.
The promotion of peace and development is the most important precondition for security and the transformation of conflicts. BICC takes a comprehensive view of ‘conversion’ as the reduction and transformation of military stockpiles, capacities and processes. This perception of conversion comprises an understanding of peace and security, which goes far beyond the narrow focus that national states place on military security.
The six following areas form the framework for BICC’s work
- Security - Stakeholders, systems, threats
- Arms - Global trends, exports, control
- Resources and conflict
- Migration, conflicts and security
- Base conversion
- Data and GIS (Geographic Information System)
These areas are mutually complementary and enable diverse thematic and methodological synergies.
BICC’s portfolio includes:
- Applied research (research reports, background and evaluation studies, impact evaluations, development of indicators, data collection and analysis, as well as feasibility studies to support program implementation).
- Advisory services (background analysis, feasibility and evaluation studies, training and expert workshops, and allocation of long- and short-term experts).
- Capacity development (preparation of concepts and modules for the further education and training of stakeholders in peace processes).
Sponsors, donors and clients
BICC receives institutional funding from the Land of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW). As of Autumn, the Director for Research will hold a professorship at the University of Bonn; one result of BICC’s close cooperation with the University.
Other sponsors, donors and clients are:
- International and German research institutes such as the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy at the University of Hamburg (IFSH), the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF), the Institute for Development and Peace (INEF);
- International and German foundations such as the German Marshall Fund, the German Foundation for Peace Research (DSF), the Gerda Henkel Foundation, the Volkswagen Foundation;
- The United Nations - United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), the United Nations University (UNU) - and other international organizations such as the EU Commission;
- Federal Ministries such as the German Foreign Office (AA) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and institutions such as the Federal Agency for Civic Education (bpb);
- International and German NGOs such as the Small Arms Survey (SAS), the Church Development Service (EED), MISEREOR, SÜDWIND Institute;
- International and bilateral organizations in the field of development cooperation such as the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), the KfW Group, EUROPEAID, and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
BICC makes use of its research work to operate as a think tank, offer (policy) advisory services, and help develop capacity.
BICC collects and publishes information, brings out expert reports and other publications, and thus offers its services to NGOs, governments, private organizations, research institutes and universities as well as to the interested public. BICC is co-editor of the annual “Friedensgutachten” (Peace Report) and of a series of international research publications (Sustainable Peace and Global Security Governance).
BICC organizes regular exhibitions, conferences, workshops, and discussions with experts. The Center sets out to make more people aware of its central topics through its public relations work.
BICC was founded as a non-profit limited company in 1994 with the support of the Land of NRW. A Managing Director for Research and a Managing Director for Administration lead BICC. Shareholders are the States of NRW and Brandenburg. The Center’s governing bodies are the Supervisory Board, the Board of Trustees and the International Board.
BICC - Internationales Konversionszentrum Bonn
Tel.: +49 (0) 228 / 9 11 96-0
Fax: +49 (0) 228 / 9 11 96-22